Thursday, December 10, 2009

I have a Phantom of the Opera question - for people who have done the show or have casted it?

I was wondering how old the part of Meg Giry is. On the CD, it sounds like she's about 15, but I didn't know. I'm about 13, and I can sing the part. I was also wondering, does Meg have to be on point? I have ballet training, but I am not on point. Thank you!



I have a Phantom of the Opera question - for people who have done the show or have casted it?paramount theater



meg is ussually cast at the same age range as Christine so it changes but she should be young and a bit naive.... as for being on pointe the ballet scenes call for her to be a classic degas girl (check out some of his dancer paintings) so yes she should be a strong dancer and the big companies always have her on pointe



I have a Phantom of the Opera question - for people who have done the show or have casted it?theatre opera theater



Honey, the part is probably the most demanding female lead vocally/physically written in the last fifty years. Meg has to do the chorus numbers for the ballet scene, I believe she is on pointe. Sarah Brightman only did seven performances a week, most stars do eight. She had FOUR hours of warmup and coaching a day to stay limber enough AND sing it.....so if you're asking for community theater, go for it....if you're thinking of any Equity related tour......you've got about 10-15 years before your body would be able to handle all that abuse.
Meg is a simpler role. Most likely, she will not be dancing en pointe to add emphasis to Christine, the main character, who will certainly be dancing en pointe. I'd say she was 15 or 16, but there is no real age that is described that I know of. That can certainly be achieved by someone your age if you have the talent. One production I have seen casted a 17 year old girl as Meg, and she did a lovely job. I don't think your age is the biggest concern, for Meg is not a central character. If you have the voice, skills, talent, and maturity I believe you could be Meg!



Good luck!
Meg is supposed to have a light voice to counter act the power in Christine and definitely Carlotta's voices. Meg's look is about 16-18. The actress' who play her range from 18-late 20's. And yes, you do have to be en pointe to play her. You have to make it through a dance audition before you can sing for Meg.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
adware remover